On 1st, 3rd and 4th of July, we had our exhibition in the Grote Kerk on the Oude Markt. In the church, you can find our flower and our pedestal. Apart from our installation, there are also 12 other installations you can try.
Our flower was a big hit because it’s easy to use and accessible for everyone. Because it’s standing in the middle of the church its one of the first things they see and they get curious.
Monday there was a ceremony where they announced the winner and we won! That was a big surprise and we were really happy! Our hard work paid off!
I was waiting for so long to do this task. We had this plan since the beginning; to create a teaser video as soon as the flower is finished. And finally, the day has come.
To create the video for the social media and the pedestal, we drove to Hengelo (where the flower was built) with the film equipment and started to build up the flower and do the last minor tweaks before it got picked up to the church.
After that I had to be fast, but I was prepared and had my storyboard ready.
After filming, we had to drive to the church and prepare everything for the exhibition. I always had in mind, that the teaser video has to be done before that, so we can make people curious and make them come to our installation. So after that, I immediately started to edit the video, to filter out all the footage, to find the right soundtrack etc.
Everyone who has some experience with editing, knows how time consuming it can be. I worked until the morning to finish it, but in the end I was really happy with the result. And not only me: we got great feedback from people on Instagram, Facebook, fellow students and even teachers.
I think with that I reached the goal, in selling our product in the way it was intended to. Of course, the video is only here to showcase the hard work my team members and I had to go through. But in the end it was all worth it.
Here the video for you to watch:
Since Social media came a bit as 2nd and the building part as first the past weeks, I decided to come up with a countdown campaign to speak to our followers.
Our Installation is there to trigger all kinds of emotions, happiness, joy, attraction etc. We want that people feel something when they see the light, hear the sound and just get relaxed while experience our installation.
Therefore I wanted to make a countdown with the key emotions of our installation, which will not reveal too much and keep the mystery
of our flower, since we are going to reveal that with a final teaser video.
We changes our design concept from a hexagon to a square.
The reason why we changed it is because i talked to a professional and said that the shape of hexagon is a lot more work then a square. And because we wanted his help he said that the square is the fastest and the more strong build then the hexagon one.
This is because the square one is made from one peice of wood. And the hexagon is from all lose ends. This way the wood is “damaged” because you have to cut it and it loses his strength.
So this is the reason why we changed from a hexagon shape to a square one.
After the talk with the professional we thouht about why we wanted a hexagon and no one had a good reason why. The only reason is that we thought it looked cool.
We discussed further and made a 3D object from the square one and we found out that it still would look really awesome.
The left picture is the old style in an hexagon. The right picture is the new style Square.
Everyone was very busy with the installation, web page, painting etc. Therefore there were some minor communication lacks. One of them was the final Pedestal and how it should look like. We finished the main housing, but didn’t have a monitor cover and also there were no les for the cables nor a cupboard for the laptop inside. After discussing with my group about it, I took charge of that, since I could manage it time wise.
I created the lasercut files, lasercut the parts, glued them together and painted them. Further I sticked some LED’s in it, so it gives a better look in general.
I drilled the holes with the help of Luca and put all the parts together so It is ready for the exhibition.
This was actually more stressful than expected, since we all had some time issues. The social media content lacked because I was busy with building now and also we all somehow had to rely on each other, since we were all at different places working on our stuff. But thankfully, it all worked out and we came with a great end result. At least with the pedestal.
Since I got a bit more spare time than expected, I offered my help With painting the flowers. To my own surprise it took way longer than expected. But it was a great experience for me, since I wanted to take an active part in building and crafting. This was only the start. It got me motivated to get more involved in the craftsman part.