Since Social media came a bit as 2nd and the building part as first the past weeks, I decided to come up with a countdown campaign to speak to our followers.
Our Installation is there to trigger all kinds of emotions, happiness, joy, attraction etc. We want that people feel something when they see the light, hear the sound and just get relaxed while experience our installation.
Therefore I wanted to make a countdown with the key emotions of our installation, which will not reveal too much and keep the mystery
of our flower, since we are going to reveal that with a final teaser video.
We changes our design concept from a hexagon to a square.
The reason why we changed it is because i talked to a professional and said that the shape of hexagon is a lot more work then a square. And because we wanted his help he said that the square is the fastest and the more strong build then the hexagon one.
This is because the square one is made from one peice of wood. And the hexagon is from all lose ends. This way the wood is “damaged” because you have to cut it and it loses his strength.
So this is the reason why we changed from a hexagon shape to a square one.
After the talk with the professional we thouht about why we wanted a hexagon and no one had a good reason why. The only reason is that we thought it looked cool.
We discussed further and made a 3D object from the square one and we found out that it still would look really awesome.
The left picture is the old style in an hexagon. The right picture is the new style Square.
Finally after doing extra work on reinforcing the design it was strong enough to bring it all together. Ids got busy on soldering the lights into the head while I thought of a clever way to attach the tip to the serva base. We didn’t wanna do this too permanently so I decided we should drill holes in the pipes and just let bolts hold the design in place.
It made for a very stable firm yet adjustable solution. While we brough the lights, the ultrasonic sensors and the servo together it was time to make the sound work. After a long struggle it turned out we just need to use two arduino’s. One master one slave.
The slave had the mp3 shield detached and only needed to start playing on the master’s command. A nice and viable solution. The ultrasonic sensor gave trough many strange values though, it was still a struggle requiring multiple professionals to implement a system that properly deals with these odd values. But we made it.
In the end it was all together and neatly working. Ofcourse we still had to implement Luca’s photon, but that was no problem really, we needed some help, but the worst was in the past already.
Now we had to bring it all together at the workplace.
Everyone was very busy with the installation, web page, painting etc. Therefore there were some minor communication lacks. One of them was the final Pedestal and how it should look like. We finished the main housing, but didn’t have a monitor cover and also there were no les for the cables nor a cupboard for the laptop inside. After discussing with my group about it, I took charge of that, since I could manage it time wise.
I created the lasercut files, lasercut the parts, glued them together and painted them. Further I sticked some LED’s in it, so it gives a better look in general.
I drilled the holes with the help of Luca and put all the parts together so It is ready for the exhibition.
This was actually more stressful than expected, since we all had some time issues. The social media content lacked because I was busy with building now and also we all somehow had to rely on each other, since we were all at different places working on our stuff. But thankfully, it all worked out and we came with a great end result. At least with the pedestal.
If you go to our website you can now see that the counter is there.
When the exhibition starts the interactions will be counted and updated in real time. Seems simple but to actually make this work I have gone a long way these past 2 weeks.
The problem I had in the beginning was that I didn’t know where to start. I knew that I had to use a MySQL database, somehow write data into it with PHP and connect the Photon to all of it. I have never really done Back end developing so I researched a lot and started to learn about MySQL databases, PHP, JQuery, AJAX etc. etc.
Of course I had to ask teachers for help too. Eventually Boris pointed me in the right direction of what kind of tutorials I should look for. I found this one in particular.
I followed all the steps and managed to make a prototype site where I store values in the MySQL database of my website.
Continue reading “Counter Database”
I’m responsible for the leaves. I wanted something that is a little bit see-through so the lights will shine through it. I first thought about using laminated paper because I can really make it as see-through as possible. But after doing some testing I didn’t like how it looked and it wasn’t sturdy at all. If the wind would catch it they will be gone.
Continue reading “Flower leaves”
In order to properly run tests to combine the mp3 shield with the ultrasonic sensors and the servo I had to create a really creepy prototype of the soon to be insides of our flower installation. It was time to fix the major issue where all the servo engine and ultrasonic sensor code I’d written before stopped working as soon as I tried to make the mp3 shield play a song, this likely had something to do with certain functions using the same communication ports. So I got one of the experts in and started to wrestle with this problem, taking a working code and adding more and more components till it stops working. We didn’t really fix it yet. But we did get alot of sensors working together.